Progressive web apps (PWA) are applications that are created using the same technology websites use.
PWAs are often built with a specific function in mind, like an app downloaded from an app store.
We generally advise a PWA over an app for the following reasons:
- Budget: Apps need to be made for Apple and Android devices, which increases the work required.
- Avoid App stores
- App stores can place lots of requirements on an app, and can remove the app at any time.
- App stores will take a portion of all sales.
- Lower hardware requirements: PWAs run in the browser, when designed well they are light weight and don’t require much from the device.
An app might be a better choice over a PWA when:
- The app needs to be able to run offline for long periods of time.
- Need to use certain hardware APIs, like notifications, GPS etc.